The Old Paths
Text: Jeremiah 6:16
"This is what the Lord says: 'Stop at the crossroads and look around. Ask for the old, godly way, and walk in it. Travel its path, and you will find rest for your souls.' But you reply, 'No, that's not the road we want!'"
There are some truths of our church history we need to revisit and not compromise.
First, sin is sin and repentance is the answer. Times have changed, but changing times do not alter God's Word. Sin is a willful transgression of God's law. God sets parameters so that we have life to the fullest and in abundance.
God gave Israel the Ten Commandments, not to restrict the people, but to fulfill them and their purpose:
1. Thou shall have no other gods before me.
2. Thou shall not make unto thee any graven images.
3. Thou shall not take the Lord's Name in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
6. Thou shall not kill.
7. Thou shall not commit adultery.
8. Thou shall not steal.
9. Thou shall not bear false witness.
10. Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's house, wife, or possessions.
God knows what is best for us. To do contrary is to say to Him, "I know what's best for me. I don't need You telling me." That is the height of arrogance and pride, a sure path to destruction.
Romans 6:23 - "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Posted on Sat, July 5, 2014