Text: Luke 2:1-14 (KJV)
And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed.
2 (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.)
3 And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.
4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)
5 To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
6 And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.
7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
What are you going to find this Christmas? Let me tell you. You will find what you are looking for.
Here are 3 things - 3 Christmas gifts - that God wants to give you; you will find them if you look for them:
1. This Christmas, you can find forgiveness.
- "Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord." (Luke 2:11 NIV)
- Savior - that's what Christmas is all about. All of us need a Savior. We are all sinners. None of us are perfect and none of us can save ourselves.
- "All who believe in Jesus will be forgiven of their sins through Jesus' Name." Acts 10:43
- Do you know how you get Jesus to save you? Just admit you need Him to do so. If you just ask, you will find forgiveness.
2. This Christmas, you can find peace of mind.
- I'm talking about inner peace. Personal peace. We all want it and we all try to find it.
- Real peace of mind is having a relationship with Jesus Christ and becoming friends with God.
- Real peace of mind is knowing that no matter what I do, God will never stop loving me.
- Real peace is knowing that no matter what happens, God will never leave me. He will always be with me.
- There are 3 things that rob us of peace of mind: Guilt, Grief, Grudges.
3. This Christmas, you can find eternal life.
- We're all going to die someday.
- We're going to spend more of our life on that side of death than we're going to spend on this side.
- You're not really ready to live until you are really prepared to die.
You can have forgiveness, peace, and the hope of eternal life. It is yours for the asking.
Posted on Sun, December 21, 2014
by Darrell Waller