Something's Gotta Give! (Sermon Three)
Today, I get to talk about tithing and giving. The word "tithe" means "a tenth." From Abraham on down, people would take the first 10 percent of their income and give it back to God. Why?
1. We tithe out of gratitude for the past.
2. We tithe to keep our priorities right in the present.
- Deuteronomy 14:23, "The purpose of tithing is to teach you to put God first." (TLB)
3. We tithe as a statement of faith for the future.
Tithing is a tool God uses to develop in each of us an attitude of discipline in our lives, prioritizing our lives, and positioning us for blessings on our lives.
Matthew 6:33 NIV - But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Whatever you want God to bless in your life, you put Him first in that area.
- You want God to bless your business? Put Him first in your business.
- You want God to bless your marriage? Put Him first in your marriage.
- You want God to bless your time? Put Him first in your time.
- You want God to bless your finances? Put Him first in your finances.
4 Things to Do Now:
1. Sit down. Take a look at your finances sometime this week.
2. Decide then and there you'll do what you have to do to put God first in your finances. What is the gross amount you earn? Determine the 10% amount.
3. Act. Take action. Write the check, set-up online giving, or put the cash in the tithe envelope.
4. Pray. Pray over the tithe and ask God to help you stay committed to keeping Him first.
Posted on Sat, February 21, 2015
by Darrell Waller