It's Personal (Part 2)
1. It’s Personal
• Walking with God
• Knowing God
• God Himself made it personal and He really ramped it up when He sent His Son to die for us.
• It can’t get much more personal than that.
2. The Preparation
• Jesus’ whole entire ministry was driven by His pending death.
• These guys He traveled with for 3.5 years were His dearest friends.
• John 13 - He prepares them for what is to come.
Look at Verse 1 (NLT): Before the Passover celebration, Jesus knew that his hour had come to leave this world and return to his Father. He had loved his disciples during his ministry on earth, and now he loved them to the very end.
Verses 31-36 (NLT): As soon as Judas left the room, Jesus said, “The time has come for the Son of Man to enter into his glory, and God will be glorified because of him. 32 And since God receives glory because of the Son, he will give his own glory to the Son, and he will do so at once. 33 Dear children, I will be with you only a little longer. And as I told the Jewish leaders, you will search for me, but you can’t come where I am going. 34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” 36 Simon Peter asked, “Lord, where are you going?” And Jesus replied, “You can’t go with me now, but you will follow me later.”
3. The Peace
• Can you imagine how they felt?
• Jesus saw their consternation and the impact of His words.
• And – forget chapter divisions – He said:
John 14:1-4 (NLT): “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. 2 There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? 3 When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.”
4. Our Present
• At times, He seems absent in our lives.
• Our present is uncertain. Our future seems bleak.
• We grieve, too.
Don’t let your heart get troubled. And when it does, trust in the Lord! Remember why
A. Life is temporary.
B. Heaven is for real.
C. He’s coming back.
D. Because He can’t stand to not be with you!
Posted on Sun, March 13, 2016
by Erika Catlett