We’ve been talking about Your Best Year Ever. Come December 31 – no regrets.
7 Risks We Can Take Today to Move Us into the Best Year Ever
1. Start something you don’t know how to finish.
2. Do what you’ve been thinking about doing but haven’t.
3. Be generous when you don’t feel like it.
4. Help someone else succeed.
5. Be vulnerable.
6. Set your sights on what seems impossible.
A. That is a risk.
B. We shy away from those because we fear failure.
C. We keep them secret so no one thinks we are “unrealistic.”
D. But I’m telling you, we fall short of our potential, we miss big celebrations, and we limit God!
James 4:2 (NLT) says:
You want what you don’t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can’t get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it.
We all know that people who set goals accomplish far more than those who don’t.
• And as believers in Jesus, we should not hesitate to dream big - ask big – and believe big.
We limit Him by:
1. Penny-ante requests
• Ask big!
Matthew 19:26 NLT
Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.”
Mark 9:23 NLT
“What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.”
Mark 11:22-24 NLT
Then Jesus said to the disciples, “Have faith in God. 23 I tell you the truth, you can say to this mountain, ‘May you be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and it will happen. But you must really believe it will happen and have no doubt in your heart. I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you’ve received it, it will be yours.
Here’s a risk worth taking:
Ask big – no limits.
7. Take quitting out of your options and your conversations.
A. Make the decision this year that you are in for the long haul.
• You know as I do that it is easier to quit than to press through.
• It’s easier to not read your Bible today, then tomorrow then…
• It’s easier not to journal.
• It’s easier not to pray.
• It’s easier not to exercise.
• It’s easier not to fight cravings and addictions.
• It’s easier to not read the books.
• It is riskier to stay and try than it is to quit and leave.
• Couples who take divorce off the table and out of their vocabulary find a way to work through their issues.
B. And listen please, one thing we have to quit doing as Christ-followers is all this negative talking we do.
C. Philippians 4:13 KJV
I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me.
D. You can do this!
You can make this the Best Year Ever.
• Put Jesus first.
• Make up your mind.
• Dream big – believe big.
Posted on Sun, January 24, 2016
by Erika Catlett