Becoming Jesus (Part Three: Humility)
Text: Colossians 3:12 (NIV): Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
How would you describe the life of Christ? Perhaps powerful, loving, caring, and somewhere on the list should be, humble.
See Philippians 2:1-11. Verse 7 says, "...made Himself of no reputation..." (KJV). Not a good reputation or bad reputation, but NO reputation. He laid aside His independent use of His attributes to totally rely upon His heavenly Father. The challenge to us, as Paul says, "Let us have the same mindset."
Humility is a challenge regardless of who we are. Paul gives us some incredible insight:
To Achieve Humility:
1. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. See Philippians 2:1-4.
- To become Jesus to our world, we have to put aside our own agendas and ask, "How can I push Christ in me forward and myself behind Him?"
2. Value others above ourselves. See Mark 10:41-45 and John 13:13-17.
3. Look not to your own interests but the interests of others.
- A life of humility is a life of service.
4. Humble yourself.
- James 4:10 (NIV): Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up.
Posted on Sat, September 20, 2014
by Darrell Waller