Be Your Selfie (Part One)
The theme for our new series is dealing with who we really are and becoming what God really wants us to be. Typically, our "selfies" are pictures of how we'd like to be perceived - pictures of how we want others to see us. But beyond the "camera on a stick," every one of us projects an image of how we want to be seen, and we often hide and mask what is really there.
We hide our pain, fears, doubts, lack of confidence. We mask our family struggles and challenges. The truth is, we all have our "selfies" and behind them we have reality. Way too often, we ignore our own pains and self-destructive behaviors. We continue in our un-forgiveness and bitterness. My intention is not to stir up pain that we've neatly put on the shelf for today, but to get to the source of our pains and watch Jesus do an incredible healing in our lives.
Text: Psalm 139:1-18 NLT
O Lord, you have examined my heart
and know everything about me.
You know when I sit down or stand up.
You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.
You see me when I travel
and when I rest at home.
You know everything I do.
You know what I am going to say
even before I say it, Lord.
You go before me and follow me.
You place your hand of blessing on my head.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too great for me to understand!
I can never escape from your Spirit!
I can never get away from your presence!
If I go up to heaven, you are there;
if I go down to the grave,[a] you are there.
If I ride the wings of the morning,
if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
even there your hand will guide me,
and your strength will support me.
I could ask the darkness to hide me
and the light around me to become night—
but even in darkness I cannot hide from you.
To you the night shines as bright as day.
Darkness and light are the same to you.
You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
You saw me before I was born.
Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
before a single day had passed.
How precious are your thoughts about me,[b] O God.
They cannot be numbered!
I can’t even count them;
they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
you are still with me!
1. God knows who you are.
- Before you lived out a single day, God knew your future. God planned out your life. Here's His plan:
- "For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11)
2. God knows what you are and what you can become.
- Before you can have a meaningful life, have a fulfilling marriage, have a growing and healthy family - before all those things - you have to deal with yourself.
- "Until you have given up yourself to Him, you will not have a real self." (C.S. Lewis)
- "A real self" - isn't that what we all want? Jesus can help you discover your real self and get your real self back on the path to healing, peace, and fulfillment.
Posted on Sat, April 11, 2015
by Erika Catlett